Is この refering to サウンド or 中二心? How does に and an intransitive verb work together? My translation attempt is: What is this sound that resonates with my chuuni heart?

Is この referring to サウンド or 中二心? How does に and an intransitive verb work together? My translation attempt is: What is this sound that resonates with my chuuni heart?

The この refers to サウンド. The basic structure of this sentence is 「何だ、このサウンドは?」 (= Inversion of 「このサウンドは何だ?」, "What is this sound?")
The に is an indirect object marker. 響く is an intransitive verb and can take an indirect object.

「サウンドが心に響く」 = lit. "A sound resounds/echos through one's heart" → "A sound/tune/music resonates with / touches one's heart"

So I think your translation is good.

「何だこの中二心に響くサウンドは(?)」
"What is this sound/tune/music that resonates with / touches my chuuni heart?"
(... with a nuance of exclamatory "What a (touching) sound/tune/music this is!")

この refers to 中二心. The に tells you location where 響くis happening.

A reasonable translation would be: What! The sound that resonates in this chuuni heart...

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.