I just came across some of the "contracted forms" used in conversations, which I'm not really familiar with. May you help me decoding the ones that I found impossible to understand and to translate them into the more "common" form?

I will explain it better, for example in this sentence: "あしたいちんち、どっか出掛けよっか。", I do understand that どっか is どこか and that 出掛けよっか is 出掛けようか, but I cannot figure out what いちんち means.

I also found: "何すんの", which I believe corresponds to "何するの", but I'm not really sure about it.

The last one that I cannot understand is 買ってこよっか, as in: "何か飲むもんでも、買ってこよっか".

Thank you in advance.

• By the way, it's 縮約, not 縮約 ;) – Ben Roffey Nov 13 '18 at 18:19
  • Sorry! I do a lot of typos when I write with my cellphone. – Alex16 Nov 13 '18 at 18:41

あしたいちんち  >>>  明日一日 【あしたいちにち】

どっか      >>>  どこか

出掛けよっか   >>>  出掛けようか 【でかけようか】

何すんの     >>>  何するの 【なにするの】

飲むもんでも   >>>  飲【の】む物【もの】でも 

買ってこよっか  >>>  買【か】ってこようか

The first one いちんち is somewhat rare but there are other words like it which can have similar contractions when certain vowel+consonant combinations occur.

For example おれのうち becoming おれんち.

すんの and ~よっか are extremely common casual contractions of するの and ~ようか.

いちんち, on the other hand, I've never seen before, and to me it looks more like a typo than anything at first glance. Where did you see this? From the context, I would guess it's a contraction of 一日 (いちにち), but I don't think it's a particularly common one.

A little searching suggests that this may actually be a dialectal word, clearly deriving from 一日 but with slightly different usages depending on the source region.

• I found it in the 新完全マスター ;) – Alex16 Nov 13 '18 at 18:41
    いちんち... I've never seen before, and to me it looks more like a typo dialectal word 「いちんち」って、日常会話ではめっちゃ言いますけど。。 文学作品でも見ますし。夏目漱石とかいろいろ。 – Chocolate Nov 13 '18 at 23:25
  • そうなんですか?勉強になります! – Ben Roffey Nov 14 '18 at 9:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.