Conversation after B saved A, A bought some drinks

A: それじゃ、助けてもらった礼にならない

well, this is totally not gratitude for saving me (= i will do more to thank you?)

B: べつに、お礼して欲しくて、助けた訳じゃないし。

it's not like I want to you show gratitude, i didn't really save you

a long while later after A and B part ways, A reflects on the entire experience. A did not do anything special for B in particular while they were together, they just talked about their interests.

ちっともお礼にならなかったが、数年ぶりに女の子と話せて俺も色々と勉強になった。

(My interaction with B/her) did not show gratitude at all, but ...

I am confused because normally you would want to show 礼 after being saved,but the speaker is "denying 礼" , so that this my roundabout interpretation but it is probably incorrect.

After reading these:

よく色々と億劫にならないな。- It's amazing how he doesn't get annoyed at all that

提出に遅れた場合は減点にならない - In the event (case) of a late submission there will not be a point deduction.

I feel like i don't have a grasp of the distinction between ~にならない as the negative of ~になる and the ~にならない used in things like 話にならない, 洒落にならない, 問題にならない.

So when i read 礼にならない, i am not sure what is actually being implied until i read B's reply.

Even then, "助けてもらった礼にならない" and "ちっともお礼にならなかったが" still feels very awkward for me.

Thank you for any clarifications

Although 礼 means “gratitude”, it can also mean something concrete expressing this gratitude, e.g. a word of thanks, a favor, or even some reward (monetary or otherwise).

それじゃ、助けてもらった礼にならない。

Just this [drink] is not nearly enough to thank you for saving me.

B: べつに、お礼して欲しくて、助けた訳じゃないし。

No big deal, it’s not like I helped you expecting something in return

Here, 訳 means “reason”.

In general, Xにならない can be used to express that X does not reach the desired level or is impossible,

e.g.

話にならない - useless to talk about, out of question

勝負にならない - no match

However, in the linked questions it seems to be used in the more literal sense of “does not become/happen”, so you need to be careful and consider context (as always).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.