I'm very curios to know about the meaning of "お元気ですか?". This could be the very basic question. But once I asked my office colleague(Japanese Native) "お元気ですか?". so his reply was very shocking to me. He replied me something like "Do you feel I am sick?".

But as per the study I thought Its simple meaning as "How are you?". So now I'm curios to know some other better option to use Instead of "お元気ですか" or I did some mistake at the moment? Please guide/suggest some better options, when we meet usually to person but maybe once in a day.

To a co-worker I would use something like "最近どうですか?忙しいですか?", etc. instead. If you haven't seen the co-worker for a few months, a "元気にしてましたか?" would sound natural as well I think.

If you want to fill silence when with a co-worker I recommend you make obvious observations about the weather; "寒いですねぇ" or "暑いですねぇ", "明日台風がくるみたいですねぇ", etc.

お元気ですか is translated as "how are you" but it's just not used as often as "how are you" in English.

• :Thank you!! And Yes I have seen many people who start their conversion by asking about weather and all!! But is it okay to say "最近どうですか?忙しいですか?" to any superior person in office? – Irfan Nov 19 '18 at 0:36
    In my office it would be fine. If I was talking to a company director or someone I hardly know, I might make it more polite by saying something like 最近は如何でしょうか?お忙しいでしょうか?, etc. – Alex Nov 20 '18 at 3:37

They tend to take that "how are you ?" as a "are you alright ? / is there a problem ?" , so I think it is better to not ask as long as you dont think they have a problem.

Example:

A) Your co-worker seems alright today so you just say "Hi" and everything is good.

B) Your co-worker seems a bit sick or seems to have a problem. In this case you can ask "お元気ですか"

That's just what I think so I don't know if it helped.

• @田中さん: Thank you for sharing your idea, but my focus is to know is that "What else should I use instead of お元気ですか?"!!! Or is it something bad habit to ask some superior person? – Irfan Nov 12 '18 at 6:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.