I'd like to know what ~じゃてえ exactly means when located at the end of verbs and/or adjectives. Do young people use it rhetorically?

The whole sentence is:

なのにのう ズイブンじゃてえ

Do you have a full sentence with it? Could it possibly be ~じゃねえ? There's also the possibility it's a dialectal variant of ~だって, or you're mishearing ~じゃで, which would be a dialectal variant of ~だよ. – Aeon Akechi Nov 8 at 4:46
  • thank you for answering!the whole sentence was なのにのう ズイブンじゃてえ. it was written so i didnt mishear it. im familiar with じゃねえ but じゃてえ is new to me. – user31870 Nov 8 at 5:59
  • ill look into dialectal variant thanks! – user31870 Nov 8 at 6:05
up vote 6 down vote accepted

It's not a recent slang word but a dialectal form of だって or だな. It's probably still in use in some parts of western Japan*, but it may be best to consider it as a stereotyped role word of old people and people in rural areas.

* Both のう and じゃ are actively used in reality in Setouchi region. Some source say じゃて(え) is Okayama dialect.

Your Answer

discard

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.