Is the を interchangeable with が in this case?

And if I say 私が総てを愛している does it mean 'I'm everything that I love'?

愛する is a straightforward transitive verb. Therefore, が always marks a subject (i.e. who loves), and を always marks an object (i.e. who/what is loved). は, as a topic marker, usually marks a subject but sometimes marks an object (See: Why can は and を sometimes be used interchangeably?). As far as 愛する/愛している is used in a simple sentence like this, が and を are not interchangeable.

私は総てを愛している

This is a simple sentence that means "I love everything." Since すべて ("everything") is an object, 私 is clearly the subject (and topic).

私が総てを愛している

This means "I love everything" (with emphasized "I"). 私 is the subject, and すべて is the object, anyway. Usually a sentence that describes a fact like this uses は, but when you use が instead of は, it has an exhaustive-listing function.

"I'm everything that I love" translates to 私は私が愛するすべてである (what a narcissistic statement!). You need to be familiar with relative clauses to understand this sentence.

There are a few exceptional words and constructions which can take both が and を. Please see the following questions for details. (Note that these are not related to your usage of 愛する.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.