My Japanese teacher just gave birth and our long-term sub is having us make cards to congratulate her, we need to write something in Japanese, and I want to write something different than what she supplied us with, to spice it up or whatever. What would be appropriate to say in my card?

Edit: I'm not exactly sure what I want to say, but the phrase the sub gave us was the same thing for the entire class:

あかちゃん おめでとうございます

She said we could do something different, and I want it to be something that an actual Japanese student might say to their teacher had a baby to congratulate them. I'm only in Japanese 1, so I know hiragana and some words and phrases, but not nearly enough Japanese to write anything that would actually make sense in this context.

I'll give a few simple common phrases...

[赤]{あか}ちゃんのおたんじょう、おめでとうございます。

かわいい or げんきな [赤]{あか}ちゃんのおたんじょう、おめでとうございます。

ご[出産]{しゅっさん}、おめでとうございます。

かわいい[女]{おんな}の[子]{こ}のおたんじょう、おめでとうございます。(← when the baby is a girl)

げんきな[男]{おとこ}の[子]{こ}のおたんじょう、おめでとうございます。(← when the baby is a boy)

Maybe you could add at the top...

祝・ご出産

For those who want more formal phrases...

ご出産、心よりお慶び申し上げます。

赤ちゃんの or お子様の ご誕生、心からお慶び申し上げます。

新しい家族のご誕生、心よりお祝い申し上げます。

etc...

Is there a particular reason you've spelt よろこび two different ways? – Aeon Akechi Nov 5 '18 at 1:39
    @AeonAkechi おお・・そうですね。。Either will be okay but お慶び申し上げます is more preferred. – Chocolate Nov 5 '18 at 3:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.