I was listening to the song 一本の鉛筆 performed by 美空ひばり When I looked into the lyrics, I was confused by two things.

一本の鉛筆が あれば
戦争はいやだと 私は書く

What's the meaning of the particle と after 戦争はいやだ in this case?

一枚のザラ紙が あれば
私は子供が 欲しいと書く
一枚のザラ紙が あれば
あなたをかえしてと 私は書く

In this case, what`s the difference in the meaning after adding 私は書く in the last sentence, instead of just writing あなたをかえしてと書く ?

Thank you very much

In this case と is the quotative particle. It indicates what the person will write.

一本の鉛筆が あれば 戦争はいやだ 私は書く
If I had a pencil I would write that war is horrible.

Compare this with 手紙を書く. This means "I will write a letter", but と would be used to mark what you actually write in the letter. This と particle is used with verbs such as 言う, 思う etc. to mark what people say, think etc.

As for why 私は is added in the line you mention, I have no idea. Maybe it makes the lyrics fit the tune better. It doesn't do any harm.

It means that. I would write that the war is horrible.

Rather than adding an answer which is the same (but less detailed) as the previous answer you should consider giving an up-vote to the existing answer. – 永劫回帰 Nov 3 '18 at 18:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.