I'm having problem figuring out the idea or meaning of a sentence while reading manga.

The context is that a character A told someone (character B) a big lie, and influenced by that lie, B started to act in favor of character A, without even realizing it. The liar states now that character B is under his "spell" (魔法). There's no magic involved, just an expression.

After that, character A says:

呪縛{じゅばく}から解放{かいほう}されるウソという名{な}の魔法{まほう}

I'm able to understand each word individually but not as a whole phrase. What is the main idea of the sentence?

呪縛から解放されるウソという名の魔法
(It's) A magic called 'Lie', which unleashes you from the curse.

I can't explain why, but I feel that 'unleash' sounds a little odd here. I would prefer 'release' or 'liberate'. Examples where 'unleash' works: "He unleashed his curse (upon the world).", "Unleash the dogs.". A definition from the Cambridge dictionary: "to suddenly release a violent force that cannot be controlled " – user3856370 Nov 3 '18 at 9:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.