I am trying to say the following: "We also drove around California and visited San Diego, Joshua Tree Park and several beaches."

I think it should be:

Kariforunia o doraibu shite sandiego nimo ikimashita. Joshua Tree Park to bi-chi o ikutsuka mimashita.

However, I've been told that "Mimashita" is wrong, because it just means "looked/saw." I tried the verb "kengaku shimashita" but that apparently is also very similar to "looked/saw."

How can I change my sentence to naturally convey the concept of visiting those places?

PS. I have not used hiragana because my skills in hiragana are still at a beginner level and it's just creating too much confusion for me at this stage. The line is only going to be spoken.

• the word "otozureru" (past tense otozureta) seems to be what you are looking for, but I have never used it, so I am not certain. also, I might choose to say "ikutsuka no biichi o otozureta" , just so the "ikutsuka" can only be applied to the word beach, and not accidentally include Joshua Tree Park... but I might be over-thinking it. – ericfromabeno Nov 2 '18 at 12:16

You could just combine San Diego with the Joshua Tree/beaches. Note that ikutsuka no means a number of.

Kariforunia o doraibu shite, sandiego to Joshua Tree Park to ikutsuka no bi-chi ni ikimashita.

If you mean that on the way to San Diego you went to Joshua Tree and a number of beaches, you could say something like the following. yottemiru means to go to somewhere because it's along the way/convenient. I.E. Getting to San Diego was the main goal, but Joshua Tree and the beaches were nearby so you decided to go to those as well.

Kariforunia o doraibu shite, sandiego ni iki, Joshua Tree Park to ikutsuka no bi-chi ni yottemimashita.

何々を行く sounds a little off to me. Is there a reason you would use を here instead of に? – ajsmart Nov 2 '18 at 15:55
    @ajsmart That's what happens when you copy paste stuff... Thanks for pointing it out. I fixed it. – Ringil Nov 2 '18 at 16:08

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.