I understand what the particle で does as far as describing how or where an action took place. But I notice that I run into で many other times where it seems to have a different function.

Could someone help clarify the uses of で? Specifically its uses other than describing how/where an action occurred.

An example would be something like this:

必ず届くこのいっしゅんのひかりで

Or as used in では, or じゃ. I know what it means in conjugations for adjectives and such, but I often see just では following other words like nouns with no verb after it or any thing. In the case where it's alone like that, what does it mean?

There are many ways で can be used. Do you have a specific example in mind? Otherwise the question is very broad. – Leebo Nov 2 '18 at 5:05
  • Sure, I'll update it with an example. – shenk Nov 2 '18 at 5:08
    But that's still exactly how/where the action occurred... – Tommy Nov 2 '18 at 6:26
  • I want to note that で is not always particle. Sometimes it's te-form of だ. I'm not sure if this is consensus or there is different point of views, but from sources where I seen it で in ではない is also te-form of だ. – sklott Nov 2 '18 at 10:09
  • Ahh, I didn't know that. Thanks! That does beget another question though. I can't think of any time I've seen it used outside of things like ではありません/じゃありません/etc. Could you give me an example/situation using the て form of だ/です outside of the uses I already mentioned? – shenk Nov 2 '18 at 21:04

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.