Here are two examples that I have encountered ん+や 

ずっと変{へん}な夢{ゆめ}を見{み}とったような気{き}がするんやけど・・・

another example:

なんか、体調{たいちょう}悪{わる}いんやない?

I am still trying to have a better sense of the letters that add up individually to the end of the sentences in Japanese language, such as ね、ん、さ、や. So in this case, my question is:

Is there any particular situation in which や is being commonly used after ん and if so, what sort of expression it conveys? or we must always try to understand them separately?

Did you encounter this in the kansai area? – ajsmart Nov 1 '18 at 16:45
  • @ajsmart I don't know. This is from an anime I am working on now, 君の名は。is the name of the anime. But if that is the case, it would be interesting. – Quince Blossom Nov 1 '18 at 16:56

I am fairly certain that what you encountered is actually part of 関西弁{かんさいべん}, or the regional dialect in Kansai. Sometimes Kansai dialect is used to add a different feeling to a character. Sometimes it is to add humor (especially when foreigners use it), but it really depends on the context in which it is used.

や is an element of 関西弁 that will replace だ at the end of a sentence. (Third listed item in the link attached.) You will hear it commonly used in the following ways.

Kansai: (そう/せぇ)(ね/な)。
Normally: そうね。

Kansai: そうなん
Normally: そうなん

Kansai: …けど。
Normally: …けど。

You will find that the past tense form of や is やった.

やない is the Kansai form of じゃない, as the link I included states.

The ん that you encountered is actually the contracted form of の from the grammar principle のです/んだ.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.