In English, an em-dash is often used where dialogue is interrupted:

Get into the c—

Is there an equivalent punctuation in Japanese?

  • In the novel that I'm currently reading ― (horbar) is used in similar fashion, but more instead of ellipsis, e.g. after full word, than such use (though I don't remember seeing such em-dash in english texts, usualy there also ellipsis).
    – sklott
    Oct 28 '18 at 18:23

Either a 3点リーダー or a dash is used for this purpose. Note that a Japanese dash is usually longer than an English em-dash.

enter image description here

The last example (leaving a Latin consonant) is fairly unconventional, but it can express the suddenness nicely, and you may see it in casual light novels, blogs and such.

See also:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.