I would be very thankful, if someone could help me figure out the meaning of the second part of the sentence below

これは地元住民とT大OBの反対によるもので、業者としても手のだしょうがなかったのだ。

The sentence is the explanation why despite other new shops Pachinko Salons cannot open in the area. I would loosly translate it as

That was due to the resistance of the local residents and alumnis of T university, so that even if someone wanted to he had no chance

but I am mostly guessing the second part. What is the meaning of 手 in combination with のだ and what function does のだ have here? としても means even if right?

First, it's not だしう but だしよう (with non-small よ). It's 出し様 in kanji if it helps you.

• として here roughly means "as ~" in the sense of "from the standpoint of ~". も is "also".
  • 手を出す is a common set phrase which means "to get involved", "to interfere", etc.
  • pre-masu-form + よう forms a noun that means "a way to ~", "possibility of ~". In particular, ~ようがない is a set phrase "there is no ~ing" or "to be impossible to ~".
  • のだ at the end is a plain explanatory-の followed by だ.

業者としても手の出し【だし】ようがなかったのだ。
(It is that) even the company/dealer had no way to interfere.

Related:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.