What is 「切れ」 as in 「切れかけの蛍光灯。」?

Your first topic was marked as a duplicate. The topic it was a duplicate of addressed both parts of this, what the first half and second half of 切れかけ is. – Leebo Oct 28 '18 at 7:15
  • @existence You've just posted a new question. Every question here has to be organized so that it makes sense on its own, and you have to show your research effort. If you want a small clarification about your existing question, please use the comment section (this place). – naruto Oct 28 '18 at 7:31
  • just as the first answer said, 切れるhas a lot of meanings, I don't know which it is and I think it's a little weird especially when I saw a very bright and clear picture illustrated as 切れかけ。 – Existence Oct 28 '18 at 11:06

切れる has a lot of meanings, and in this context it means "to go out", "to burn out", etc. There is no physical filament which will burn out for a fluorescent lamp, but people still use 切れる. かけ is "half ~", "almost ~", etc. Therefore 切れかけの蛍光灯 refers to this.

• i don’t think so, kireru do have the meaning of almost, half~ ect.. While kake is equal to almost~, here kireru doesn't mean almost, right? Or these two are the same in meaning. It should be something near a verb or an adj. that explain the characteristic of the lamp. So what exactly is kireru? – Existence Oct 28 '18 at 11:22
    @Existence Please re-read my answer. I clearly said 切れる in this context means "to go out", "to burn out". – naruto Oct 28 '18 at 11:27
  • then what is a burned out lamp? – Existence Oct 29 '18 at 11:17
    @Existence 「切れた電球」ですかね・・ – Chocolate Oct 29 '18 at 14:27
  • @Existence For instance, 死んだ人 = dead person; 死にかけの人 = half-dead/dying person; 壊れたラジオ = broken radio; 壊れかけのラジオ = half-broken radio; 切れた蛍光灯 = broken/dead lump; 切れかけの蛍光灯 = half-broken (i.e., flickering) lump. Did I make myself clear? – naruto Oct 29 '18 at 16:23

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.