In the first page, this is written:

六{むっ}つのとき、原始林{げんしりん}のことを書{か}いた「ほんとうにあった話{はなし}」という、本{ほん}の中{なか}で、すばらしい絵{え}を見{み}たことがあります。

I don't have the English version, but the Brazilian version says the equivalent of:

Once upon a time, when I was 6 years old, I saw in a book about the Virgin Forest, Real Stories, a impressive drawing.

Would it be correct if I said something like 私が六歳のとき?

My copy has a different Japanese translation: 僕が六歳だったときのことだ。 – user3856370 Oct 28 '18 at 8:57

(私が) [六歳]{ろくさい}のとき...
(私が) [六]{むっ}つのとき...

Both are correct.

「~歳」 can be used for all ages, and 「~つ」, for ages from 1 to 9, as in 「ひとつ、ふたつ、みっつ、よっつ、いつつ、むっつ、ななつ、やっつ、ここのつ」, and 「とお」 for 10. 「~つ」 is more casual/informal, and can sound a bit more childish than 「~歳」 (We use 「お幾つですか?」 for adults, too, though).

Adult (toward a little boy): 「ぼく、[幾]{いく}つ?」/ 「ぼく、[何歳]{なんさい}?」
Child: 「[3]{みっ}つ。」/「[3才]{さんさい}。」

• I see. So, also the answer depends on the questions as well, as in you use 歳 when asked 何歳 and use つ when asked 幾つ? – Patrick Villela Oct 28 '18 at 11:27
    @Patrick It's fine to reply with 歳 when asked 幾つ, eg 「ぼく、いくつ?」--「5歳。」/ 「おいくつで(いらっしゃいま)すか?」-- 「28歳です。」 or even without 歳 (over 11~): 「おいくつですか?/ お年は? etc.」--「28です。」 – Chocolate Oct 29 '18 at 8:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.