Regarding stickers put on apples to make pictures:

シールを作った会社が毎年、農家の人にお願いしてこのりんごを作ってもらっています。
Every year the company that makes these stickers receives requests from farmers and receives the apples they make.

I'm a bit confused about how to parse this sentence. Does もらう operate on both 作る and お願いする? I see two separate things here

1) 会社が毎年、農家の人にお願いしてもらっています。
Every year the company receives (the benefit of) requests from farmers.

This makes sense. The farmers want fancy pictures on their apples so they ask for stickers.

2) 会社が毎年、農家の人にこのりんごを作ってもらっています。
Every year the company receives (the benefit of) the farmers making these apples.

This makes no sense to me at all. Why would the farmers be making the apples for the sticker company?

I fear I have misunderstood something.

1 Answer 1

Does もらう operate on both 作る and お願いする?

もらう operates on 作る.

You can split the sentence this way:

1) 会社が毎年、農家の人にお願いしています。
Every year the company makes requests to farmers.

2) 会社が毎年、農家の人にこのりんごを作ってもらっています。
Every year the company receives (the benefit of) the farmers making these apples.

シールを作った会社が毎年、農家の人にお願いしてこのりんごを作ってもらっています。
Every year the company that made these sticker makes a request / asks the farmers and has them make these apples.

Why would the farmers be making the apples for the sticker company?

ここによりますと:

「シールを開発した弘前市の農業資材メーカー『佐藤袋店』では、毎年、市内の生産農家に『絵入りりんご』の栽培を依頼し、総理大臣官邸のほか、... ベルサイユ宮殿などにも贈っています。」
「農業資材メーカーの佐藤義博社長は ...『無事に出荷できてうれしいです』と話していました。」

とありますので、会社が絵入りリンゴを仕入れて、出荷してるみたいですね。。 

Would you say that 農家の人に is also explicitly part of the second clause so the に particle has changed meaning between the first and second clauses ('to' in the first and 'from' in the second)? Or would you say that 農家の人に is not a part of the second clause, and it is just implied? The idea that you can use the same particle (に) with two different meanings is a bit too spooky. Oct 28, 2018 at 8:47
    @user3856370 I think it's the latter. (農家の人に is not a part of the second clause, and it is just implied). なぜかというと、例えば・・・「彼女連れてきた + 彼女掃除させた」→「彼女連れてきて掃除させた。」(彼女を is not a part of the second clause, and 彼女に is implied), 「鈴木さん毒を飲ませた + 鈴木さん殺した。」→「鈴木さん毒を飲ませて殺した。」(鈴木さんに is not a part of the second clause, and 鈴木さんを is implied).
    – chocolate
    Oct 29, 2018 at 9:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .