enter image description here

私がこの町のことをよく知っているのは、 前に________。
1. 住んでいたんですから
2. 住んでいたからなんです

According to the answer key, the correct answer is 2.

I want to know why it is not answer 1.
What is the difference between たんですから and たからなんです?

私がこの町のことをよく知っているのは、 前に住んでいたからなんです。
"The reason why I know this town well is, because I used to live here before."
"It is because I used to live here that I know this town well."

This is a cleft sentence. For more details on cleft sentences, please refer to this thread.

The ん(の) in なんです(なのです) is the explanatory の.

In the normal word order the sentence would be:

前に住んでいたから、私はこの町のことをよく知っているんです。
"Because I used to live here, I know this town well."

Here in the original/normal sentence you use 「いたから」 and not 「いたんですから」, so you use 「いたから」 in the cleft sentence, too. Also, you'd need to end the cleft sentence with 「~です。」, and therefore the correct answer should be #2.

Normal sentence: 「XXXから、YYY(ん)です。」 "Because XXX, YYY."
→ Cleft sentence: 「YYYなのは、XXXから(なん)です。」 "It's because XXX that YYY."

Example:

Normal word order: 優しいから、佐藤さんは人気があります。(or あるです using the explanatory の)
"Because Sato-san is kind, she is popular."

Cleft sentence: 佐藤さんが人気があるのは、優しいからです。(or からなです using the explanatory の)
"It is because Sato-san is kind that she is popular."

• However, sometimes I found ですから using at the end of sentence. Like this “これ以上何も言うことはありません、いいわけをするのはいやですから “. So, I want to know why. – GB Boss Oct 26 '18 at 9:51
    @GBBoss これ以上何もいう事はありません、言い訳をするのは嫌ですから。 is not a cleft sentence. it's just an inversion/anastrophe. Its normal word order is 言い訳をするのは嫌ですから、これ以上何も言うことはありません。 and it's a polite way of saying 言い訳をするのは嫌だから、これ以上何もいう事はない。 – Chocolate Oct 26 '18 at 10:01
  • i dont quite sure that I understand cleft sentence correct or not. In my understanding , It means when you want to emphasize something right? Like this sentence のは、 前に________。 So, can I infer that if I found のは on the sentence. It always end up with からです right? – GB Boss Oct 26 '18 at 10:16
  • どうしてフライドチキンが好きですか? B: 美味しいですから. Or 美味しいからです I think both answers are make sense for me. – GB Boss Oct 26 '18 at 10:18
    「どうしてフライドチキンが好きなんですか?」って聞いた方が自然です。返答は「美味しいからです。」のほうが自然です。 – Chocolate Oct 26 '18 at 12:51

[接助]活用語の終止形に付く

1. 理由・原因を表す。「もう遅いから帰ろう」

2. (終助詞的に用いて)強い主張、決意を表す。「思い知らせてやるから」

Your example 1 is the number 2 usage and your example 2 is the number 1 usage. So your example 2 is appropriate for this answer.

Generally, から in ですから that is the end of a sentence is the numner 2 usage and から in からです is the numner 1 usage.

• Can you translate number 2 , I dont quite sure that I translate it correct or not – GB Boss Oct 26 '18 at 9:11
  • Do you refer to the number 2 usage? – Yuuichi Tam Oct 26 '18 at 9:43
  • Yes I mean the number 2 usage. Now , I know that ですから is connected between A ですから B. But, からです is used at the end of the sentence. However, sometimes I found ですから using at the end of sentence. Like this “これ以上何も言うことはありません、いいわけをするのはいやですから “. So, I want to know why. – GB Boss Oct 26 '18 at 9:54
  • I think It's an inversion as chocolate said. – Yuuichi Tam Oct 26 '18 at 10:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.