What does the bolded には mean in the following sentence?

貫くような衝撃が顎から脳天を突き抜け、次第に目の前が真っ白になってゆく感覚に襲われる中、耳には銀髪の外国人の興奮した声が入ってきていた。

入ってきいた。 to enter / to go into; to hear past tense. <-- 「入ってきた」じゃない?(「きいた」じゃなくて「きた」) – Chocolate Oct 24 '18 at 3:24
  • @Chocolate ここに何をから。 jisho.org/search/入ってきいた – Toyu_Frey Oct 24 '18 at 3:38
  • What are you looking at in those search results? What do you think 入ってきいた is? – Leebo Oct 24 '18 at 3:51
  • @Leebo I think that 入ってきいた is two verbs connected with a te. Am I wrong, and if so, can you explain my mistake to me? – Toyu_Frey Oct 24 '18 at 4:01
    Chocolate pointed out that 入ってきた would make sense, but 入ってきいた doesn't really, so they were confirming if what you wrote was accurate. – Leebo Oct 24 '18 at 5:32

It's a particle に (marking a direction/destination) followed by a topic/contrast marker は. は is used because there is a weak contrast between what's happening to his 目の前 and what's happening to his 耳.

耳には銀髪の外国人の興奮した声が入ってきていた。
(literally) into my ears, an excited voice of a foreigner with silver hair was coming.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.