`What is the difference between 上がります and 増えます

上がります

上がります means that something is going up in reference to a past position. For instance, you can use 上がります when talking about:

• Anything measured in degrees such as temperature and altitude
  • Moving up in a ranking
  • Price

This is not an exhaustive list, but I think it covers a lot of common usage.

増えます

On the other hand, 増えます is specifically something increasing in number/amount/size. Contexts where you usually see 増えます include:

• Population
  • Weight
  • Number of comments, likes, complaints, etc.

and so on. Again, not exhaustive, but hopefully that makes sense.

Difference

I have no link or anything to back this up, so someone please correct if I am mistaken, but I think the difference is whether or not 0 is absolute or relative.

---For instance---

In the case of 増える: the population of a country, the weight of a bag of oranges, or the number of comments all have an absolute zero - that is to say that when they reach zero, there is nothing to measure. Therefore, we use 増える for things that only have a positive, numeric range of possibilities.

On the other hand, in the case of 上がる: the rank of something or it's price and the temperature are not all necessary expressed in terms of zero - price can be negative if there is a refund (or zero if it is free for some reason), the rank of something isn't even always a number or even decided by a number, and temperature and altitude as we all know can go well below zero and still be measured. Therefore, we will typically use 上がる with things that can be measured as a negative, positive, or increase but with no quantitative base of measurement.

上がる generally refers to a change in position of the thing you are talking about, i.e. from a lower position to a higher position. This can be used with things like objects which have moved position, people who have moved to a higher location, or a number on scale which has gone from a lower position on the scale to a higher position on the scale.

増える generally refers to an increase in size or number of the thing you are talking about, either physical or abstract, i.e. a group which has grown in number, a workload which has increased, a sense of well-being that has grown, etc.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.