Let's make an easy example sentence

ラーメンが好きだから、毎日食堂で食べます。

In real life conversations I sometimes start a sentence with the second part

毎日食堂で食べます

Then I want to tell the reason for this and I always try to somehow connect the sentences, but I don't know how. In the English language I could do it like this:

Because I like Ramen, I am eating everyday in the cafeteria.

And then I could switch it around and do it like this:

I am eating everyday in the cafeteria, because I like Ramen.

While in Japanese I always start to stutter and then I just begin a new sentence which goes like this:

ラーメンが好きですから。

or:

理由はラーメンが好きです。

I am not sure if I'm overlooking something, but I think that there must be a smoother way to tell the reason after the fact without making a new sentence. I think you could do it somehow with the particle "で", but it kind of doesn't sound right to me.

ラーメンが好きだから、毎日食堂で食べます。 Do you mean to say "I eat Ramen in the cafeteria everyday, because I like Ramen" or "I have a meal in the cafeteria everyday, because I like Ramen"? – Chocolate Oct 23 '18 at 3:09

Japanese is a head-final language, and there is no "formal" way to say the reason after the conclusion part within a single sentence.

You can split the sentence into two:

毎日食堂でラーメンを食べます。(ラーメンが)好きだからです。

Or using explanatory-no:

毎日食堂でラーメンを食べます。(ラーメンが)好きなんです。

Or explicitly using なぜなら ("because") or 理由は ("the reason is"):

毎日食堂でラーメンを食べます。なぜならラーメンが好きだからです。
毎日食堂でラーメンを食べます。理由はラーメンが好きだからです。

Alternatively, it's possible to replace the period with a comma and "pretend" it's a single sentence:

毎日食堂でラーメンを食べます、好きなので。

This nonstandard word order makes the sentence look informal and colloquial. You should avoid this in formal writings unless you do want to vividly simulate a casual conversation.

Or you can form a compound sentence using が/けれども/etc:

私は毎日食堂でラーメンを食べるのですが、それはラーメンが好きだからです。

IMHO, you don't have to hesitate to split the sentence into two if you really want to say the conclusion first.

理由はラーメンが好きです means "the reason likes ramen", which makes no sense.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.