I have previously (fuller text is there) asked about this line, but not about this part.

The part I'm interested in is:

母のように娘のように大切にしていた相手

I think this basically means:

"Person/other side, A cared greatly about, like a mother would, like a daughter would"

Basically the part where is says that someone cared about someone else like they were the daughter and the mother is a bit strange. So I'm wondering if this might not just be a wierd way to say "cared for the other person as a mother does for a daughter", but that doesn't fit I think.

Also context wise there are two people A and B, they aren'nt actually related but their relationship was weird. Here I think they are describing things form A's PoV because this text box is placed over A and fits with what happened before, of A having no choice but to let B go. A cared about the B a lot, and tends to reffer to B and some else as her children. But at the same time A was younger than B and B felt responsible for A and in the end sacrificed herself so A can live on. So them at times flipping who the mother is could fit.

I'm just not sure if there is a simpler interpretation before I force in mine.

母のように娘のように大切にしていた相手

means "someone that B cared for just like (B would do) B's mother, or daughter", "someone B cared for as if they were B's mother, or daughter."

「相手を母のように、(または)娘のように大切にする」 = "care for someone as if they were your mother or daughter"

The sentence literally means...

「もっと強くもっと早くこの手を伸ばせていれば」
If I had been able to reach out my hand more strongly and sooner,

「強く哀しい選択も させずに…すんだはず。」
I wouldn't have had to cause B to make a sad decision
(「~ずに済む」≂「~なくて(も)よい」 "don't have to~" "don't need to~"
「させずに済んだはず」≂「させなくてもよかったはず」 "wouldn't have had/needed to make/let them do~" "could have done without making/letting them do~")

「母のように娘のように大切にしていた相手を見送るしかない(強く哀しい選択)」
(a sad decision) where there's no other choice but part with someone whom B cared for as if they were B's mother or daughter
/ (a sad decision) of having to part with someone whom B cared for like his mother or daughter

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.