Not much to say about this question. Both words are translated as "theory" in English and I didn't find someone who explains the difference.

is there any difference?

Thanks, Or

I see it as something like this:

理論 ⇔ 応用 theory vs application

In contrast, 学説 would be an academic theory of some particular subject. 学説 also has a sense of hypothesis that 理論 does not have.

So Tarou's モモンガ学説 would be Tarou's theory about flying squirrels -- say that they are most active between 7pm and 8pm.

But 生物理論 would be biological theory.

Here's a 知恵袋 that confirms the idea I'm suggesting.

Maybe I am not the most qualified person to answer this but I'll give my 2 cents anyway.

To me. 理論 seems to be much more common than 学説. But that's just based my personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt. 理論 can be used as a "prefix", so if you've been to Jisho.org, you'll notice there is an entry for 理論物理学 which means theoretical physics. 学説物理学 is absolutely nonsense. Similarly, 理論化学 is theoretical chemistry​. Also 的 can be added after 理論 to turn it into a Na-adj, i.e. 理論的. I pretty sure this is not possible for 学説, but I could be wrong.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.