The full sentence is:

何{なに}もかも手{て}にした気{き}でいたんだ

For now I think 何もかも手にした comes from 何もかも手にする 'to obtain just about everything / almost everything' but I can't understand the purpose of the rest and how it changes the meaning of the phrase.

• why "just about" "almost"?  「何もかも」"anything and everything" – Chocolate Oct 21 '18 at 3:10
  • 'Anything and everything' was one of the two definitions that Jisho.org provided. The other one was 'Just about everything' which did more sense in the context. – Chrollo Oct 21 '18 at 3:19
  • hee.. 何もかも means すべて, 全部... So "just about everything" "almost everything" can also mean すべて? – Chocolate Oct 21 '18 at 3:26
  • So It would correct to say that 何もかも手にした means "I've got everything"? if that's correct how does 気でいたんだ change the sentence's meaning? – Chrollo Oct 21 '18 at 3:33

~~した気でいる means "to (keep/stay) think/imagine/feel(ing) that one did~~". (≂ ~~したつもりでいる) (cf. 「~~した気になる」 "to think/feel/imagine one did~~", 「~~のつもりでいる」 "to fancy oneself as~~")

何もかも手にする means "to gain/obtain (anything and) everything".

So 何もかも手にした気でいたんだ literally means "I thought/imagined that I had obtained everything." 

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.