At the beginning of Love Live! Sunshine!! Ep.13, there is a notice written by the character Hanamaru, that writes: 御用の方は屋上にまで.

The screenshot

The English substitle says "If you need us, we'll be on the roof". I get the meaning, but I still can't wrap my head around two things:

1. 御用の方 means customer or guest. Shouldn't "we" be subject in this sentence?

2. 屋上にまで, what does にまで here mean? Doesn't まで mean "until, up to"? I have gone through some old questions in this site but I still can't translate this word here convincingly.

• I'm nowhere near certain, so I'm not putting it into an answer, but this could be a case of them casually dropping things that can be inferred from context. The paper actually says something more like "Customer/honored guest, up to the roof even (can go)". Meaning "If you want us, you can come up till the roof". Then understandably the translator flipped things about to make the note make more sense to an English speaker. – 4th Dimension Oct 20 '18 at 20:21
    Are you sure it's 「御用の方は屋上まで」? It should be a typo of 「御用の方は屋上まで」, right? – Chocolate Oct 21 '18 at 0:22
  • @Chocolate, I double checked, に was there. – dgg32 Oct 21 '18 at 0:30
  • スクリーンショットには、「御用の方は屋上にまでずら 」って書いてあるねぇ・・ – Chocolate Oct 21 '18 at 0:35
  • ”ずら”は花丸の口癖です。意味ない – dgg32 Oct 21 '18 at 0:38

御用の方は屋上まで。
"If you need us, we'll be on the roof".

It should be a typo of [御用]{ごよう}の[方]{かた}は[屋上]{おくじょう}まで.

「御用の方は~~まで」 is a common phrase to say "If you need us, please come to ~~" → "If you need us, we'll be in ~~". 「いらしてください。」 or 「来てください。」("Please come to ~~.") is left out at the end.

Update: In the screenshot it's spelled as 御用の方は屋上にまでずら, so maybe they wrote it that way on purpose. I guess they are making the character speak (or write) in a bit strange/awkward way, to make them look more distinctive/unique. (This might be related to キャラ語尾.)

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks, に was there, I added a screenshot link above. – dgg32 Oct 21 '18 at 0:35
  • I search Google "御用の方は ... まで" with に and without に, even with those few results, I could not find an example with に in it. So I would accept your answer, thank you! – dgg32 Oct 22 '18 at 18:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.