I am not learning nor will I be learning Japanese any time soon so I’ll be glad if you could help me out here. I am a designer and I wanted to play with the correct Japanese spelling of this word “tsundoku”. As I understand it means buying and piling unread books instead of reading after buying them. I am attaching a few photos showing some spellings but I have no way to be sure if they’re right. Image1

Image2

Image3

closed as off-topic by ajsmart, istrasci, Dono, user3856370, Earthliŋ Oct 29 '18 at 6:43

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations, transcriptions or proofreading are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not to provide a bulk translation service nor to proofread your translations or transcriptions. See: We don't do translations." – ajsmart, istrasci, Dono, user3856370, Earthliŋ
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

They're all spelled the same. They just spell it out in roman characters, hiragana, and Kanji. – ajsmart Oct 19 '18 at 17:50
  • @ajsmart Yes, now I see they do look the same. It took only one person to point it out, which is pretty neat 😃 – Tanya100 Oct 19 '18 at 21:01

You can write the word in a variety of ways. You've shown several (積ん読) that combine Kanji (Chinese characters) and hiragana, and in your second example, you can see those alongside the same word spelled out in just hiragana (つんどく). Both are correct, as ajsmart said. My autocorrect actually gives it as 積読 (without the hiragana between the characters) - a third option, just to add to the confusion. Welcome to the world of Japanese...

• If you really wanted to, you could even spell it a fourth way 積んどく or a fifth way ツンドク.... – psosuna Oct 19 '18 at 23:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.