Heres the sentence :

彼は自由なほうの手を伸ばして頭皮をさわり、痛みの源を突き止めようとした。

So I understand the sentence, I think, by context, as : "He reached up with his free arm and touched his scalp, trying to determine the origin of his headache."

But i can't find a good definition or explanation for this "ほう", which kanji is this related ? what's the meaning here ?

Thanks in advance.

The kanji that's it's representing is the standard 方. It is used in the standard way of making a comparison between two objects. Here the comparison is between the two hands of the person. As for what comparison it's making, the answer is that it's comparing the 自由-ness of the two hands. So here 自由なほうの手 means the hand that is more 自由.

Edit: As Chocolate points out, 方 when used here isn't actually making a comparison between the level of 自由, but the existence of 自由 or not.

making a comparison between two objects. it's comparing the 自由-ness 自由なほうの手 means the hand that is more 自由. -- それは「二者を取り上げて比較した時の一方。 『兄より弟の方が背が高い』」(大辞林)の用法ですよね。ここでの「自由な方の手を伸ばして…」の「方」は、「対立的に存在するものの一方。がわ。 」(大辞林) の用法ですよね。「2本ある手を比較して、比較的、より自由な方の手 (the more free hand between the two hands)」って意味じゃなくて、「自由な手と自由でない手があって、その自由な方の手(the free hand, not the other not-free hand)」(「自由なほうの手」というからには、「自由でない手」が存在する)ですよね。 – Chocolate Oct 20 '18 at 4:51
  • @Chocolate そうなんですか?確かに、その用法はもっと合うよね。指摘してくれてありがとう! – Ringil Oct 20 '18 at 14:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.