I am trying to learn how to say 'to talk/write/read about smth' in Japanese, since corrections natives make to my sentences seems not to be very consistent. For example, let us consider a phrase 'I talked/read/wrote about pencils'. Particles I want to use are を and で. With 'talked', it seems that 鉛筆を話した is just fine, because here topic kinda fits into my understanding of 'direct object', but 鉛筆を書いた would mean 'i drawed a pencil', while 鉛筆で書いた would mean 'i wrote with a pencil'. What would one use instead? I tried to search Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar for で, but with no success.

there are many ways to talk "about" something. Maybe you would find it interesting to look up the grammar form "~について" – Nicolas Louis Guillemot Oct 15 '18 at 16:09
    ~に関して/~に関する might also be useful. – G-Cam Oct 15 '18 at 18:33

について is what you are looking for.

It translates as 'concerning', 'regarding', 'about' etc. Your sentences would look something like:

鉛筆について話した。
鉛筆について書いた。  

Check p280 of A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar for more details.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.