speaker「だから、お前が俺のことをよく見てくれてるって思ったらなんかちょっと嬉しくてさ」

girl 「……べ、別にあんたのことそんな風に見た覚えはないけど、そう見えたのよ」

speaker「ってとは、自分でも気付かぬうちに俺のことをよく見ていたってことになるな」

girl 「ば、ばっかじゃないの!? なんでそうなるのよ!?」

speaker 「俺としては出来ればそんな感じに見てくれてたらって思うけどな。その方が嬉しいし

-

that why, after thinking about the fact that you really understand me, i'm kinda glad

it's not like i see you in that way, that's just how you look.

that means, before you realized it yourself, you you've really come to understand me

are you dumb? How the hell did you come to that conclusion?

For me personally,if possible, thinking " if you looking at me with that sort of feeling" ...., that makes me happy

how much does the the 思う quote emcompass?

[俺としては...見てくれてたら]? [出来ればそんな感じに見てくれてたら]? [そんな感じに見てくれてたら]?

When would you use に over で for the 原因/理由/means/agent purpose like with 感じに見る?

is there a better way to interpret the ...たら in this quote?

Thank you.

• My translation of dialog (different than yours): A) I'm saying, I'm kinda happy you're looking at me so much B) what, I don't really remember looking at you that you. It just seemed that way (to you). A) That means, you've been looking at me without realizing what you're doing. Just so you know! B) That's non-sense! Why would it be that way? A) For me, if possible, I'd rather think you've been looking at me that way. That makes me happy. – hasen Oct 15 '18 at 4:11
  • with the prior context only the 注意力を働かせて観察するさま definition would apply. Speaker asked girl to describe him, and she gives some answers that he feels that only someone close to him would give. – charu Oct 15 '18 at 5:28

Here's the quoted part:

俺としては「出来ればそんな感じに見てくれてたら」って思うけどな。
For me personally, I think "if possible, if you are seeing me like that, (that's good)".

Sentence-end たら can be used to express suggestion and hope. In the latter case, you can think something like いい, ありがたい or 嬉しい is omitted after たら.

そんな感じに and そんな感じで are interchangeable in this context. It means "like that" or "in such a way."

• would the "その方が嬉しいし" afterwards be related to ...たら inside the quote ? Or is その方 referring to the this way of thinking as a whole? – charu Oct 15 '18 at 2:48
  • @charu Yes その方 refers to そんな感じに見る. He wants her to look at him rather than ignoring him. – naruto Oct 15 '18 at 17:56
  • "俺としては「出来ればそんな感じに見てくれてたらその方が嬉しいし」って思うけどな。" would be the more accurate way to look at it? – charu Oct 16 '18 at 3:54
  • @charu You should not try to join the two sentences like that.. The second sentence is indeed a part of this thoughts, but it's not inside the quote, at least grammatically. Ending a sentence with たら (or hypothetical form in general) is not uncommon at all. For instance, see: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/56782/5010 – naruto Oct 16 '18 at 4:02
  • my natural way of reading その方が嬉しいし is interpreting その方 as [「出来ればそんな感じに見てくれてたら」って思う], in other words "this way of thinking make me happy". But the reply of "その方 refers to そんな感じに見る. He wants her to look at him rather than ignoring him", refers to the contents inside the quote – charu Oct 16 '18 at 4:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.