A few times now, I have seen a negative i-adjective with a は in between the く and the ありません. I have seen it usually present when it is a response to a question. Like the example below.

いいえ、車は赤くはありません。

Translations of it are no different than '車は赤くありません。,' however, so I am not sure what the addition of the は adds, or what circumstances it should be used, or if it's even correct.

Can anyone shed some light on when/how/if は is used with the negative i-adjectives? Appreciate any help!

marked as duplicate by naruto, Blavius, user3856370, Chocolate, Earthliŋ Oct 29 '18 at 6:44

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

It just adds emphasis. – hasen Oct 14 '18 at 21:20
  • Thanks! Would it be usually preferred in every day conversation, would you say? – SeanM Oct 14 '18 at 21:22
  • I don't hear it often. Except maybe when someone is rejecting an accusation of some sort (doesn't have to be serious, can be used even while joking). "You like pizza, right? No I do NOT like it!" This kind of thing. – hasen Oct 14 '18 at 21:23
  • Ah, okay. That does make sense, thinking of some of the places I've seen it. Thanks again! – SeanM Oct 14 '18 at 21:29
  • I'd suggest 'topicalisation' as a better word than the (unpleasantly vague) 'emphasis'. See the question linked to by naruto. – Sjiveru Oct 15 '18 at 7:00