Note: I already reviewed many topics here regarding the use of わけ, but I still struggle to properly translate the sentence below. It's from the introduction to the book 日本語文法ハンドブック (a book for teachers of beginning Japanese grammar).

言うまでもないことですが、現実の日本語に初級と中・上級との区別が存在しているわけではなく、初級の文法というのは、いわば指導上の便宜的な設定です。

Translating literally produces something like "There's no need to explain it, but for real [actual-use] Japanese, it's not the case that distinctions between early and middle/advanced Japanese grammar exist, in other words early Japanese grammar is setting an expedient foundation [for teaching someone to learn]."

Which sounds like utter gibberish to me. The stumbling block is the phrase "初級と中・上級との区別が存在しているわけではなく". I would think "存在していないわけではなく" makes more sense ("it's not the case that distinctions between different levels of grammar don't [already] exist"), but that's not what's used here.

What is a correct translation of the sentence above, especially in regards to the ~わけ phrase?

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Read it again -- the author is saying that there are no distinctions between "beginner / intermediate / advanced" in the real world of actually-spoken Japanese. Same for any language. Such distinctions are convenient fictions created for the purpose of taking a vastly complicated system -- a language -- and divvying it up into manageable pieces for purposes of learning and instruction.

Ah, that makes complete sense. Thanks for clearing it up. – Hikonyan Oct 11 at 19:48

Your Answer

discard

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.