I am looking for a native speaker who could answer the following question:

Is there any difference in pronunciation of the morpheme 'mo' in the following words (are there any differences in tone):

• だれも (as in 部屋の中には誰もいませんでした)
  • だれも (as in 誰もが名文を書けるわけではない)
  • だれでも (as in 来る人は誰でも歓迎されます)

Thank you!

Yes, there is a difference.

• 部屋の中には[だれも]{LHH}いませんでした。
  • [だれもが]{HLLL}名文を書けるわけではない。
  • 来る人は[だれでも]{HLLL}歓迎されます。 ([だれでも]{LHHH} is also fine, maybe younger speakers prefer this?)

You can try Google Translate's voice synthesizer (click the speaker button). I confirmed the result was fairly good at least in terms of pitch accent, although the English translation is flawed.

I don't know if there is a generic rule which you can apply to other interrogatives. If there is any, I think non-native speakers are better at such rules :)

• Thank you. What about just the 'mo' part. How would you describe the tone of 'mo' (rising, falling etc.) in negative senteces, positive sentences (with universal, i.e. 'every-' meaning) and when used as a part of 'demo'? – Coobie Oct 11 at 14:40

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.