I"m trying to translate the following sentence into English for a assignment in my translation workshop class.

僕は身体を起こし, あらためて彼女に視線を持っていった.

The bolded part has me confused due to the strange shi ending; which I first read as the shi clause with the term 起こす, but realized this was incorrect due to the predicate (起こ) not being in the plain/short form. Jisho.org says that 起こし is a suffix, which I believe to be incorrect in this instance as there is a を particle behind the 起こし.

Thus, what does 起こし mean in the above sentence, and how do you know this?

It's a conjugation formed by taking a verb in ます form, then removing the ます.

Example conjugation:

• 起こす:起こします=起こし
  • 生まれる:生まれます=生まれ

Combining sentences with that conjugation basically means "and". It's similar to combining sentences with て, though there are differences in usage.

Example sentence:

ジョンは日本で生まれ、十歳まで日本の学校で勉強した。

John was born in Japan and studied at a Japanese school until he was ten.

I recommend page 556 of "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" as a reference for the details of this grammar form.

To answer your question directly:

Thus, what does 起こし mean in the above sentence, and how do you know this?

It's just a continuative conjugation of the verb 起こす, which means "to raise", and that verb is being applied to 身体. I know this because that's the dictionary definition. The fact that it ends in し、 just means "and..." before talking about the rest of the sentence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.