Please help. I found this question on the N5 practice exam:

ヤン 「私はこの本を買います。アンナさんはどんな本がいいですか。」
アンナ 「 私はもうすこし ( _ _ ☆ _) がいいです。」

A. 本
B. かんたんな
C. が
D. 日本語

Please explain why 日本語がかんたんな本が is the structure... why not もう少しが日本語かんたんな本? What is the rule followed? Why is there two が?

Thank you.

「日本語がかんたんな本」 is a noun phrase where 「日本語がかんたんな」 is a relative clause modifying 「本」. Its non-relative version would be:

(その)本は、日本語がかんたんです。
lit. As for the book, Japanese is simple.
→ The book is written in simple Japanese.

「もう少し」("a little more") is an adverb that modifies the na-adjective 「かんたんな」("simple").

You can parse your example this way:

[(もう少し)日本語がかんたんな]本がいいです。
lit. "I'd like / prefer a book [whose Japanese is (a little) simple(r)]"
→ I'd like / prefer a book with a little simpler Japanese / a book written in a little simpler Japanese

You can rephrase it as 「もう少し日本語かんたんな本」. (For more on this, you could refer to this thread.)

Some example phrases using this pattern:

「[髪]{かみ}がきれいな人」(「髪のきれいな人」) "a person with beautiful hair" 
「[鼻]{はな}が[長]{なが}い[動物]{どうぶつ}」(「鼻の長い動物」) "an animal with a long trunk"

• Thank you very much 😀😀😀 and yes I have been wondering why the の is omitted. Will read the link you posted thanks. – Shiniboi Oct 7 '18 at 4:22
  • Follow up question. I just read about relative clauses (still cannot get it) ... so the function of the relative clause is as an adj of the 本? – Shiniboi Oct 7 '18 at 23:45
    Yes, it's an adjectival clause. It modifies/describes the noun 本 adjectivally. – Chocolate Oct 8 '18 at 4:12

日本語がかんたんな本がいいです。
There are two が because there are two sentences.

First sentence:
本がいいです。
A book is good.

Second sentence:
日本語がかんたんな本
A book which has simple Japanese.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.