Panel from manga おじょじょじょ by クール教信者

超金持ちの令嬢 地獄巡 春 高飛車なのが主にキズ

The text says:

超金持ちの令嬢 地獄巡 春
高飛車なのが主にキズ

What does キズ mean here? It does not seem to be 傷 (wound/injury), and since it’s katakana I suspect it’s some kind of slang but I did not find anything on zokugo-dict...

In this case, キズ is part of a set phrase which is 玉にキズ or 玉に傷 (lit. A scratch on the jewel) which is analogous to the English version A fly in the ointment.

The phrase then means that it's a small annoying something that sours the mood of enjoyment or success (similar to how a scratched jewel isn't as beautiful as an undamaged one, and is as such a minor annoyance or flaw).

This might be describing the characteristic of the character with the rest of the phrase at the beginning:

高飛車なのが、玉にキズ
(Her being) domineering is the "scratch on the jewel (lit.)"

A very loose translation that is probably truer to an English tone is:

She thinks she's on top and that's her (only) flaw.

Special thanks to Chocolate and By137 for the point-outs.

玉 means jewel in that phrase. And it's not saying she is a fly in the ointment, but the domineering part of her character is her only flaw. – By137 Oct 3 '18 at 2:55
    Domineering, but She thinks she's on top but -- 「高飛車なの玉にキズ」の「が」は、 but じゃなくて、主格の格助詞・・ – Chocolate Oct 4 '18 at 15:43
  • @Chocolate なるほどね。では、答えを直します。いつもどおりありがとうございます。 – psosuna Oct 4 '18 at 16:01

玉(たま)に瑕(きず) is a proverb.

それさえなければ完全であるのに、ほんの少しの欠点があること。
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/138638/meaning/m0u/玉に瑕/

玉 refers to a precious stone.
瑕 is a flaw, an imperfection.

A precious stone which would otherwise be very valuable and expensive, loses most of its value due to a small imperfection.

According to the site below it comes from an ancient Chinese proverb.
http://yain.jp/i/玉に瑕

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.