Perhaps one of the more interesting/infuriating things i've found is how どうこう is seemingly always written without kanji...

the obvious ones with する default to 同行 I assume

だからと言って今すぐどうこうするって話でもないけど。-just cuz i said that doesn't mean i saying i want to go out with her

同好

一概にどうこう言えない気がするんだけど…… - I feel like you can’t say all (girls ) have the same tastes (when it comes to guy's heights)

"どうのこうの"

「なんでせっかく好きな人と結ばれたのに、他人がどうこう言って間に割り込んでこようとするわけ……? 関係ないじゃん……」- how come even though i'm finally with a guy i like, other people keep disturbing us and saying all this crap, what we're doing has nothing to do with them.

and the stuff I'm not so sure of

どうのこうの or 動向?

俺が殴られるどうこうはもう関係ない。- your ("tendency" to assault me/this and that sort of beating me up) is already irrelevant ?

動向?

お前がどうこうじゃなく俺が決めたんだ。(context is "っ…入れてくださいっ!  私なら大丈夫です。これしき耐えられます" 🙄) - I , who "doesn't have the same "tendencies" as you, has already made up my mind. - really not sure about the last one.

Appreciate any clarifications and further insight

• All of your examples are not 同行, 同好 nor 動向. If you really need to write them in Kanji, use 如何斯う. dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/155649/meaning/m0u – marasai Oct 3 '18 at 0:25
  • Literally all of them are the "如何の斯うの" どうこう? even for the 同好 sentence where they're talking about how girls think about height? – charu Oct 3 '18 at 0:46

In all your five example sentences, どうこう is this どうこう meaning "this and that", "something", "blah-blah", etc. It's used to contract the unimportant part of the sentence. It's interchangeable with どうのこうの.

どうこう can work as an adverb, "(like) this or that":

今すぐどうこうするって話でもないけど。
That does not mean I'll do something (about the problem) right away.

一概にどうこう言えない気がする。
I feel we cannot say something sweepingly. / It's not a black-and-white situation.

どうこう also can colloquially form a noun clause (i.e., どうこう can be followed by particles like が, を, の):

[俺が殴られるどうこう]はもう関係ない。
I'll be beaten, or this, or that...they're no longer relevant.

[お前がどうこう]じゃなく俺が決めたんだ。
This is not a you-think-this-or-that kind of problem; I decided it.

彼とどうのこうのの前に自分を磨きなさい。
Before thinking about doing something with him, you must make yourself a better person.

(Forgive me if my English translations are unnatural; I'm bad at this type of colloquial sentences)

Unsurprisingly, 動向, 同行 and 同好 are normally written in kanji. These words are simply not used in your examples.

| improve this answer | |
  • i see thanks, if i didn't know better i would have thought some of the kanji version fit better – charu Oct 3 '18 at 3:52
    @charu I'm not sure my English sentences are okay (especially the last three). Now that you know the essence of どうこう, please feel free to correct them. Thank you. – naruto Oct 3 '18 at 5:52
  • You got the point across extremely clearly which is more important imo :) – charu Oct 3 '18 at 6:19

どうこう, just like どうのこうの are adverbs.
When used in negative sentences, they mean "anything".

Examples:
私がどうこう言える問題ではない。
This is a problem I can't say anything.

そのことについてどうこう言える立場ではない
I am not in a position to say anything on the matter.

どうこうするうちに事態は悪化した
In the meantime, the situation grew more serious.

どうこう【如何斯う】
[副]《副詞「どう」に副詞「こう」の付いた語》
多く否定表現に用いて、特にそれと定めず、さまざまな行為や事態をひっくるめて指し示す。どうのこうの。とやかく。
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/155649/meaning/m1u/どうこう/
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/en/どうこう/#je-53009

どうのこうの: いろいろ言い立てるさま。なんのかの。どうこう。

Examples:
どうのこうの言ってもはじまらない。
No matter what you say, it will not start.

どうのこうのと うるさく 言うな。
Stop nagging.

このことについてはどうのこうの言う権利はない。
I have no right to say anything about the matter.

https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/en/どうのこうの/#je-53470
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/156614/meaning/m1u/どうのこうの/

| improve this answer | |
    どこからどこまでが辞書からの引用ですか? 引用箇所は分かるように示(以下省略) – Chocolate Oct 3 '18 at 16:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.