studying Japanese for some months now I, began translating some Japanese sentences written on pictures or drawings. Unfortunately I came across a drawing with handwritten kana that I cannot clearly identify.

enter image description here

It's quite simple to read the both right kana, being ふぁ, I suppose they are pronounced as [Fa] and shall be a sound of relief, like "Ah" or "Phew".

But the two left kana are quite hard to identify for me, as I'm used to computer-written signs. So I'm not even sure whether this is Katakana or Hirakana... The first kana could either be ヤ or や (although therefore the small dot at the top would be missing). But neither Jisho.org nor Google Translator gave any useful hints what the lower left kana is supposed to be... It might be ダ so the resulting term would be ヤダ [Yada]. But is that reasonable? No Japanese dictionary knew this term. Of course it's highly probably that this is just another term to describe a sound made by the speaker. But [Yada]? I can't imagine a reasonable equivalent nor an emotion, which the sound [Yada] could transmit. Thanks a lot for your help!

jisho.org/search/yada – Ringil Oct 2 '18 at 19:23
    @Ringil gave you the right link. Make sure you always look at the "other forms" in Jisho, you will sometimes find the word you are looking for there. – CCR Oct 4 '18 at 4:46
  • Okay, thanks a lot! I will remember your hint the next time :) – LordMaShi Oct 5 '18 at 19:30

It is:

嫌(いや)だ 。
I hate it!
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/en/嫌/#je-4410

It is written in katakana, probably for emphasis.

Note that the initial i- in iya is often contracted in informal speech / comic books. – Eiríkr Útlendi Oct 2 '18 at 23:48
    「ヤダ」is learned by Japanese toddlers pretty early on as they start to figure out how to say "no!" aka "don't wanna!". It's presumably a long while before they realize it's a contraction. – Colin Stark Oct 3 '18 at 11:57
  • Yes, I didn't realize that it is a contraction... That made it harder to find. Thanks a lot for your help, the translation "Don't wanna." seems quite reasonable in the context. And thank you for the link to this dictionary, I didn't know it before, but I think that I'm gonna use it much now! – LordMaShi Oct 5 '18 at 19:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.