What is 女子力?

I see it often recently, and understand that it does not worth discussing seriously about it. I know it is a stupid word. Just curious how people are interpreting it.

女子力...what a vague word... (Btw there's no such word as 男子力?^o^)
    – user1016
    Jul 19, 2012 at 16:48
    @Gradius: I admit that I too think they are too similar. But I'm pretty sure that 女子力 refers to a "lifestyle" which makes the difference. Also, it appears that some people connect the outward appearance to 女らしさ, which is why a distinction is being made in the link Dave posted.
    – Chris
    Jul 19, 2012 at 18:53
    One difference is the diff. between 女子 and 女. Another is that 女子力 implies a kind of active mastery, where 女らしさ is more of an emergent trait. Like any other kind of power, 女子力 is a means to an end.
    – Matt
    Jul 19, 2012 at 21:00
    I mean, if consumers feel that a new word is more powerful and positive than other existing words, it means coining it was successful from marketing point of view.
    – Gradius
    Jul 20, 2012 at 4:05
    Why do you need to apologize for discussing a "stupid" word?
    – Golden Cuy
    Jul 21, 2012 at 11:06

2 Answers 2

Dave's explanation probably hits the nail on the head, but there might be something to add.

I had read that 女子力 is actually viewed somewhat as a "skill". (Obviously, this is taken in the context of the 心の力説 definition in Dave's link.) In this sense, the skill is to attract males and be popular around males through fashion and style. However, I read an article about a girl who cooked for a guy in order to "boost her 女子力" which might mean there are other things than just physical attractiveness involved. The underlying idea being that a girl with 女子力 will be able to indirectly attract males.

I'm not sure, but 女子力 seems linked to 女子会 which is another term for girls meeting together to talk about relationships, work, etc.

According to this explanation, 女子力{じょしりょく} refers to a woman's prowess with issues like fashion, make up, and style.

Which would be considerably different from the English "girl power", which is about a woman's particular ability to succeed in all realms of life, and implies women's ability to be just as good, if not better, than men.

I think 女子力 is generally used in relationship seeking also.
    – Chris
    Jul 19, 2012 at 16:21
  • @Chris: And, apparently, through her underwear... according to the link.
    – Questioner
    Jul 19, 2012 at 16:29
    I have seen the 仕事力説 and 心の力説, but the 下着力説 is very new to me! Where did that come from?
    – Chris
    Jul 19, 2012 at 16:33
  • @Chris: Beats me :) This is a new word in flux, though, so it's still going where people take it.
    – Questioner
    Jul 19, 2012 at 16:40
    @Chocolate: I'm not entirely sure, but I know it's had power over me now and again... ;)
    – Questioner
    Jul 20, 2012 at 1:13

You must log in to answer this question.