My impression when using conditionals, most of the time, you lose the ability to express desire. For example, when conjugating to -たら、you have to use the past tense of the verb. Is it grammatically correct to use もし or ば form to convey desire in conditional?

もし公園に行きたいんですが、電話して下さい。

or

公園に行きたければ、電話して下さい。

No you don't lose the ability to express desire. もし can be used with たい and ば, but your first example will have to be revised to something like: もし公園に行きたいのであれ、電話してください。 There is a very comprehensive answer discussing all these conditionals here. – DXV Sep 28 '18 at 1:43
    Who says you can't conjugate all conditional forms on たい? You can have any of たければ、たいのなら、たかったら. – Sweeper Sep 28 '18 at 7:10
    Excuse me, what are you trying to say by 「もし公園に行きたいんですが、電話して下さい。」 ? Can you add the English translation? – Chocolate Nov 28 '18 at 12:40

行きたければ is not past tense. It comes directly form 行きたい.

iku (行く) to go
iki-masu (行きます) to go
iki-tai (行きたい) want to go
iki-takereba (行きたければ) if you want to go

行きたい comes from 行きます by replacing "masu" with "tai".
行きたければ comes from 行きたい by replacing "i" with "kereba".

You can use もし to reinforce the conditional. The use of もし in this case is optional.

もし行きたければ
If you want to go.

There are other ways to express conditionals.
For example you can use なら:

もし公園に行きたいなら、電話して下さい。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.