I'm looking for example situations of when to use each level of politeness. I know they all are the same but when situational wise to use each one is where I am having confusion. Thank you.

And ではない, if you want to have all combinations of [±formal] and [±polite]. – snailboat Sep 25 '18 at 17:36

In terms of situational usage, it partially depends on how one wishes to present themselves.

That said, the way I've used these forms is as follows:

ではありません

• Formal writing, such as a report or documentation

ではない

• Formal writings in combination with ので when giving an explanation.
  • Formal writings with longer sentences in place of ではありません (both between phrases and at the end of the compound sentence).

じゃありません

• Formal conversation, such as during an interview.

じゃない

• Casual conversation with friends and / or casual writing such as text messages
    I believe that for scientific writing (which is also formal), such as for reports or documentation, ではない is standard and ではありません would usually be considered too wordy. – Earthliŋ Sep 27 '18 at 6:14
  • In that context, is it used in the middle of a sentence still (to combine two clauses), or would the sentence end with ではない? – Tim F. Sep 27 '18 at 6:24
    Both in the middle in the sentence, like you also mention, and at the end of a sentence. – Earthliŋ Sep 27 '18 at 6:28

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.