I know that both of them can be translated as “apathy”, but is there a distinction between them? Are they interchangeable?

This 無 is a prefix meaning "-less". If you understand the difference between 感動 and 関心, the difference between 無感動 and 無関心 is almost self-evident. 関心 is "interest" or "curiosity", whereas 感動 is "(emotional) movement" or "excitement"

| improve this answer | |
  • Oh, thank you so much! I wasn't sure if it mattered which one you would use. But I guess it does. – Micheal Gignac Sep 24 '18 at 16:12
  • You shd be aware that 無関心 is very commonly used (to mean “indifferent” or “uninterested”), but 無感動 is not common at all. – Marc Adler Sep 25 '18 at 12:11
    @MarcAdler According to BCCWJ, 無関心 is 10 times as common as 無感動, but there are 64 examples of 無感動, and that's not a small number. – naruto Sep 25 '18 at 12:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.