I'm having a difficult time understanding the use of の-Adj in the JLPT N5 grammar examples and practice I've been studying and haven't found a good resource for finding the answer. The sentence is fairly simple but I can't tell what the purpose of the の at the end of the Adj is in it. It goes:

大きいのは いくらですか。 Ookii-no wa ikura desuka?

Does anybody have any clue? Thank you!

の in this case is a pronoun that can be translated to English as "one".

(More precisely, it's a "dependent indefinite pronoun")

Therefore:

大きい = "big" (adjective)

大きいの = "big one" (noun equivalent)

By applying this translation, we can see the problem that happens if we don't use の:

*大きいはいくらですか = "how much is the big" (wrong)

大きいのはいくらですか = "how much is the big one" (correct)

For more research on uses of の, I recommend reading the relevant chapters of the book "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar".

I'm not sure if this is a nominalizer. When you nominalize an adjective, the meaning becomes "the fact that it is Adj." e.g., 大きいのこと. Further evidence: ボブ is a noun; ボブの meaning "Bob's" is not a nominalized version of ボブ. I'm not sure what part of speech the の here is, however; I want to call it a pronoun, but it's not replacing a noun per se. The example sentences are correct, of course! – mamster Sep 23 '18 at 22:58
  • hmm yep I think you're right. I spoke too soon. I'll fix up my sloppy terminology. (fixed now) – Nicolas Louis Guillemot Sep 23 '18 at 23:00
    @mamster You can have different kinds of nominalisers with different meanings - all a nominaliser is is a thing that turns something into a noun of some kind. I'd have no problem describing の here as a nominaliser; and really, it sounds much more to me like that than like a pronoun. – Sjiveru Sep 24 '18 at 14:28
  • whatever the most accurate description may be, the current description is based on the wording used in the cited reference. – Nicolas Louis Guillemot Sep 25 '18 at 0:35

According to "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar", page 318:

の: a nominalizer which is used when the nominalized sentence expresses a directly perceptible event. (...)

Example sentence(s):
日本へ行くのは簡単です。
Going to Japan is easy.

Formation:
話すのは
The act of talking

高いのは
The expensive one

静かだったのは
The one that was quiet

の makes a noun equivalent from a sentence. 

There is another nominalizer こと. の and こと are sometimes mutually interchangeable. For example, [日本へ行くのは簡単です。] can be restated as:

日本へ行くことは簡単です。
Going to Japan is easy.

• see the comment discussion on my answer – Nicolas Louis Guillemot Sep 24 '18 at 3:15
  • This is very helpful. 勉強になりました。 – mamster Sep 26 '18 at 10:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.