I'm reading a manga and I've seen "nameや" a couple times now, but I'm not sure what it means exactly. Does it show affection?

Two examples:

enter image description here enter image description here

up vote 20 down vote accepted

There are two types of や which should be distinguished.

• や as 終助詞 (sentence-ending particle) or 間投助詞 (interjectory particle): A casual vocative particle. In English, "hey" as in "Hey Siri" or "o" as in "O Lord" is similar in purpose. But this type of や sounds old-fashioned and is found almost exclusively in fiction, fairly tales, etc. It can follow an arbitrary person name, and ~や is not grammatically related to the following part of the sentence.

≪終助≫ 目下の相手に対する呼びかけを表す。「太郎や、帰ったのかい」「ポチや、こっちにおいで」 [明鏡国語辞典 第二版]

≪間助≫ 名詞、名詞に準じる語、副詞に付く。呼びかけを表す。「花子や、ちょっとおいで」[デジタル大辞泉]

• や as 接尾語 (suffix): A suffix is a component to form another word. An English equivalent of this type of や is "-ie" as in "doggie" or "Kathie". The resulting word is another noun, so you can say 坊やが寝ている, じいやを呼べ, etc. You cannot attach it to an arbitrary name. Actually, this や is found in a very limited set of nouns, and IMHO ぼうや, じいや and such should be learned as distinct nouns.

≪接尾≫《人を表す名詞に付いて》親しみの意を表す。「坊や・ねえや・ばあや・じいや」 [明鏡国語辞典 第二版]

≪接尾≫ 人を表す名詞や人名などに付いて、親しみの意を添える。「ねえや」「坊や」「爺や」「きよや」[デジタル大辞泉]

Since メアリ is a Western person name, this や in メアリや is not a suffix but the vocative-や. メアリや means "Oh Mary", "Listen, Mary" or simply "Mary!" You can not say something like メアリやが女王になる. The vocative-や is sometimes used even after a name suffix, (e.g., お前さんや "(Hey) You!") or a suffix-や (e.g., ばあやや, "(Hey) Grandma!")

You are right, it shows affection.

According to the dictionary, や is a suffix for names or nouns to show affection.

や: [接尾]人を表す名詞や人名などに付いて、親しみの意を添える。「ねえや」「坊や」「爺や」「きよや」
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/220995/meaning/m0u/や/

Your Answer

discard

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.