This question already has an answer here:

I am working on a tool that I want to translate to Japanese and wanted to confirm if I am using the correct version and grammar of the words.

When i translated both "is equal to" and "equals" in Google translate I always got 等しい. Why is the same word used regardless of grammar? Is that correct?

For equals I see so many variations of 等しい

marked as duplicate by istrasci, Eiríkr Útlendi, Dono, ajsmart, Chocolate Oct 27 '18 at 17:11

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Exactly what is the question here? And what is the difference between "is equal to" and "equals" which Google Translate should spot according to you? – macraf Sep 17 '18 at 18:45
    I would have to agree, what is the difference between the two? The only one I see is that you have added the to be verb. Otherwise the meaning is exactly the same, is it not? – ajsmart Sep 17 '18 at 19:35
  • The difference is the amount of words, grammar, and what would commonly be expected in the context. For example, "is equal to" in Spanish would be "es igual a". – JGallardo Sep 18 '18 at 0:28
  • This is not a duplicate at all, that other question does not answer my question. That deals with things like multiplication. My question very clearly asks a simple question, equals vs not equal to. It's a comparator. – JGallardo Oct 29 '18 at 18:41

Japanese grammar is very different from English grammar. に等しい is a correct translation for both “equals” and “is equal to.”

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.