I know, generally, multiples of the same particles in a sentence is okaaay, but perhaps not natural-sounding in everyday conversation? I'm trying to create longer sentences by stringing together clauses:

ninjaっぽいになるために、日光に行った。

Can any particles be dropped here? What should I change? As I understand, へ is used to emphasize direction, but I feel like I should be emphasizing the actual location.

• @Chocolate oh okay, because っぽい is used to describe the becoming, it needs to be conjugated... – idkgaijin Sep 15 '18 at 2:48

「~っぽいになる」 is grammatically incorrect. 「~っぽい」 conjugates to 「~っぽく」 in the adverbial/continuative form. cf: 「かわいい」→「かわいく」

日光に行った can be rephrased as 日光へ行った without changing the meaning. (~ヘ行った sounds a tiny little bit more formal to my native ear.)

So you can say:

Ninjaっぽくなるために、日光に行った。
Ninjaっぽくなるために、日光へ行った。

(You could also drop the に in ために, as in 「Ninjaっぽくなるため、日光へ行った。」 but this would sound pretty formal.)

You can also use 「なりたくて」, "wanting/hoping to be~", as in:

Ninjaっぽくなりたくて、日光に行った。

• Eh that's interesting - why does dropping the に in ために make it more formal? – idkgaijin Sep 15 '18 at 2:53
  • I can't say why... but 「V+ため~~」 often sounds more formal than 「V+ために~~」 when meaning "in order to~~" (purpose). – Chocolate Sep 15 '18 at 3:13

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.