These don't seem like the standard Noun+する verbs to me (e.g 食事する) and I have noticed that they only seem to take the している・していた forms. Why is this, and if I wished to say "put a necklace on", would I use つける?

These don't seem like the standard Noun+する verbs to me (e.g 食事する)

する has a lot of meanings and usages, which include におい・味・音・声がする (smell, taste, hear)、感じ・気がする (feel)、眼鏡・ネクタイ・指輪・ネックレス・イヤリングをする (wear/put on). These are not suru-verbs (サ変動詞) and require the particle を or が. (◎食事する, ◎食事をする, ◎眼鏡をする, not 眼鏡する, ◎音がする, not 音する)

and I have noticed that they only seem to take the している・していた forms. Why is this, and if I wished to say "put a necklace on", would I use つける?

You can use the する・した forms, too. For example:

「キッチンからいいにおいがする。」
「二階で何か変な音がしたよ。」
「どこかで見たような気がする。」
「お葬式ではパールのネックレスをします・つけます。」
「明日はネクタイをしてきてください。」
「左手に包帯をした人」

With 「眼鏡・ネクタイ・ネックレスetc.をする」, you can usually use する・つける (or かける, [締]{し}める, はめる etc. depending on the item) for the action "to put on", and している, つけている etc. for the state "(is) wear(ing)~~". For example:

佐藤さんはいつも指輪をしています。(はめています)
赤いネクタイをしている人 (赤いネクタイをした人 is also fine)

According to A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, page 435:

する
Something is perceived by someone's non-visual senses.
feel; smell; hear.

Example sentence[s]:
子供達の声がした・しました。
I heard children's voices.

Your Answer

discard

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.