About the sentence

北海道では雪が降っています。

Does it mean:

1. It is snowing in Hokkaido, or
  2. It is still going to be snowing in Hokkaido?
    The first option is a straight-forward translation. How did you come up with the second option? – Earthliŋ Sep 7 '18 at 12:35
  • sai, are you familiar with the ていく construction? e.g., 降っている vs 降っていく? – mamster Sep 7 '18 at 13:29
  • I was reading a book on Japanese grammar written in Chinese. The book translates the sentence into 北海道仍持續降雪, and I translated this into (2). – sai Sep 7 '18 at 13:30
  • Yes I have learned about 降っていく, but do not quite understand its meaning. – sai Sep 7 '18 at 13:32
    @sai Don't trust translations -too- much - you risk bringing things over from the gloss language. – Sjiveru Sep 7 '18 at 16:03

Only 1 is a correct translation.

I can't speak to the Chinese sentence at all, but translation 2 sounds like a slightly unnatural translation of:

北海道では雪が降っていく。

Which means "In Hokkaido the snow will continue." (The ていく construction indicates that the action is occurring now and is expected to continue into the future.)

Note that the presence of the は particle gives the sentence a contrastive feel, like you've just said or are about to say that it's not snowing in Tōhoku, for example.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.