I understand that 上旬 means the first 10 days of the month, and that 下旬 means the last (approximately) 10 days of the month. However, I would like to understand the underlying logic for the choice of 上 and 下 for the beginning and end (respectively) of the month.

After all, the later days of the month have higher numbers (21 22 23 etc), so isn't it counter-intuitive that they labeled with 下? There must be a different logical interpretation...

Does it really require a leap in logic? My calendars have the start of the month on the top. – Leebo Sep 5 '18 at 0:37
  • If that's really all there is to it, then that would answer my question! – Nicolas Louis Guillemot Sep 5 '18 at 0:41
  • I don't know if there is a clear connection or not, but I explained this for myself by comparing it to vertical writing. You write from top to bottom, so 上 comes before 下 In Japanese. – kuchitsu Sep 5 '18 at 11:01
  • Consider also the English phrase, "let's start from the top..." – Eiríkr Útlendi Sep 5 '18 at 16:39

In my comment above, I answered a bit tongue-in-cheek-ily that calendars have the start of the month at the top, but if you want a concrete reference for the meaning of it, one of the meanings of 上 is 順序が先のほう (source). Another example of a word that uses this meaning is 上巻 "first volume" (of a manga series, etc.).

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.