They all mean something like an instant or a moment.

• When are they (and when are they not) interchangeable?
  • Is any more (in)formal/literary than the others?
  • Do they represent the same amount of time?
    • My gut says that 一瞬 is the quickest (like [電光石火]{でん・こう・せっ・か}) and that 一刻 can be a longer "moment" (like 即席ラーメン or, "Can you answer a quick servey? It'll only take a moment of your time.").
    • I've never heard (一)刹那 used in real life, so I have no basis for comparison.
  • 刹那 is clearly more literary than the others. It's originally a Buddhism term.
  • As a no-adjective, 一瞬の and 刹那の are mostly interchangeable (except that the latter being literary and thus emphatic/dramatic)
  • As a conjunction-like noun (?), ~した刹那 is interchangeable with ~した瞬間.
  • As a na-adjective, 刹那的 means "ephemeral" (negative); 瞬間的 is "instant"; 一瞬的 makes no sense.
  • 刻 is originally a unit of time that roughly corresponds to 30 minutes. Today, 一刻 is used almost exclusively in idioms (一刻を争う, 一刻一刻(と), 一刻の猶予もない, etc), and I don't know how to use 一刻 with ラーメン. 一刻 basically refers to a longer time than 一瞬/刹那. In other words, 一瞬/刹那 roughly means "less than a second" or "less than a minute" at most, whereas 一刻 roughly means "less than an hour".
  • I'm not saying you would necessarily use 一刻 with ラーメン. I simply mean that even though we call it "instant ramen", it takes about 4 or 5 minutes to make. So that "instant" is quite a bit longer. – istrasci Sep 1 '18 at 16:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.