Can someone tell me what "あびて" means? i'm trying to read japanese novel "ムーミン谷の冬" and there is sentence "でも, 月の光をあびて, 雪がきれいな青い色に光っていました." I think i understand everything else but not "あびて". Thank you for the answer!

• What is your translation of the rest of the sentence? It helps us if we can judge what your current abilities are. If I said あびて is the te-form of the verb 浴びる does that makes sense? Aug 27 '18 at 13:56
    Well my language is Finnish, but if i translate it into English it would be something like " But the light of the moon ______, the snow shone in a beautiful blueish/blue color." i'm sorry, i'm just a beginner and i'm studying japanese with two different language.
    – Alicia111
    Aug 27 '18 at 14:04

月の光をあびて, 雪がきれいな青い色に光っていました。

This あびて is the te-form of the verb 浴びる, meaning "to bathe in" etc. I don't know how familiar you are with the te-form, but it can have many different functions. In this case it adverbially modifies the verb 光る. I would translate this sentence as:

Being bathed in moonlight, the snow glittered with a pretty blue colour.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.